Thursday, June 17, 2010

Life Goes On

I used to think that when something bad happened, writing would serve as a solace and support. But I've found that in times of crisis and loss, my writing muse mostly deserts me. The death of a much-loved cousin has recently caused me to pause. While I haven't entirely stopped writing, my blog posts have been less frequent.

In the past, when experiencing the shock of grief, I've felt surprised at the way life around me goes on. This time is no different. I think about cousin Art while the birds twitter, the flowers bloom, and my neighbor stops to say hello. I go to the market, prepare meals, brush my teeth. Sadness gives the mundane a heightened beauty.

Rather than write more, I'd like to offer some photos I took the other day with my iPhone, when the flowers and greenery in my yard seemed particularly lovely. Adios, Arturo.
  
Click on the photos to enlarge them.












5 comments:

  1. Barbara--
    The colors and vibrancy of your pictures are a fitting tribute to Art. His energy was both a blessing and a curse for him, but it was a very strong force.
    I think the shock of the event has sucked the air out of many of us. Thanks for writing--and helping bring a little air back into this relative! Mary-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are really in touch with how you need to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Barbara. Lovely tribute to our life-loving cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, Barbara. Please accept my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all comments posted here. What a lovely memorial. In sympathy, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete