Sunday, January 3, 2010

What I'm Resolving Not to Do in the New Year


I promise not to make any resolutions, New Year's or otherwise. For me, resolving to do something ensures that it will never get done, or not for long anyway. This applies to big things and small, trivial and profound.

If I promise myself I'll be a kinder human being, after a few days of holding back every negative thought, I'm bound to explode at some minor infraction by Cosmo, E., or even a perfect stranger. If I make a more specific resolution, like a pledge to go to the gym three days a week, the first time I slip off the exercise wagon I'm done for, never to return again.

You get the picture—attempting to accomplish things via sheer will power doesn't do the trick. Taking things one day at a time seems to work better. So I offer this short blog entry without resolving that I'll write another one tomorrow. I'll just take each day as it comes.

2 comments:

  1. I heard yesterday that we make resolutions for the wrong person... not for who we really are, but who we think we should be. Resolutions seem to be on their way out. The priest yesterday did a survey and only one of many admitted to making resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the yogic path! You and me together, sister!

    ReplyDelete